There are many reasons why you should consider hiring a content writer for your business. First, let us explore 7 reasons to hire a content writer, and then I will provide some tips to consider when hiring one.
7 Reasons to Hire a Content Writer
1. It allows you to focus on what you know and do best. Your product or service. They will focus on what they do best, which should be writing.
2. You can save on time. Time is valuable. If you are already a busy business person and are working 40-70 hours per week, do you really want to spend extra time trying to fit in writing content for your website, or for business communications? Likely not, and quality writing can help you connect to your clients, so it shouldn’t be an after-thought. It should be careful, thoughtful, and deliberate, to get you the results you desire.
3. You can hire on a contract or “as-needed” basis so that you don’t have to hire another employee. It will save costs in the long run because you won’t need to pay benefits, and full salary. You can set aside a budget for marketing/content writing and scope out writers to meet your needs.
4. You might have an employee that can write, but do they know how that writing can net clients? Often content writers will have a good understanding of what language works or doesn’t in an online context, or in business communications. A good writer should be able to take your brand and create a voice, or work with your established voice to craft something your clients will be attracted to. Having this focused help will allow your content to rank well in search engines, and you will be miles above your competition. It will also allow your employees to focus on other important tasks.
5. Content is king. With people getting their information through the internet and social media, content has to be effective to even be read. Why risk getting passed over because your content isn’t interesting or captivating enough? You could have the most brilliant business in the world, but if you don’t present it correctly you are losing out on valuable clients. These days, you are only as good as you look online. Your website is your store front.
6. Great writing is also great researching. If you are finding it hard to make time to write content, then you likely don’t have the extra time it takes to research what else is out there in your market/niche and what you need to strive to be better than. A high quality content writer will take care of this aspect for you as well.
7. From views to viral. Great content writing can make your website interesting, but fantastic content writing can make your website viral, or at least “shareable”. It is important to have content that connects to your clients, not just on the product level, but on a brand level. Don’t tell them what your product is, show them what it can do for them, and how it can change their lives.
Tips for Hiring a Content Writer
- Ask and you shall receive. Ensure you ask for and state clearly what you need from your writer, and ensure they understand your needs. A great writer will ask lots of questions about your company to gain understanding before beginning any work.
- Make sure the deadline is well understood, if there is a deadline for completion.
- Screen potential writers carefully by asking for samples, and references from past clients.
- Develop a relationship if you are considering long-term work with the writer.
- Start with one job and continue the relationship only once you are satisfied with the quality of work, and the writer’s work habits/commitment to deadlines.
- Develop a communication system and check-in process for how you and your writer will communicate.
- Develop payment method/terms prior to starting projects.
- Have a contract in place, and negotiate copyright if necessary.
- Ask if your writer is fine with revisions. Most writers will be completely fine with making revisions to accommodate your needs.
- Know the value of compelling content, and realize that quality is what you need to achieve success with your business.
Contact us if you are interested in having a free consultation about your writing needs.